How Do I Get Started?

Step 1: Transcript Evaluation & TOEFL Testing

For Candidates who completed a 4-year bachelor’s degree outside the United States.
International Candidates must complete the following preliminary steps:

1. 1. Your degree must be equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 2.5. To determine the eligibility of your degree, your transcripts must be evaluated by an approved agency, such as the following:

  • American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers
  • Center for Applied Research, Evaluation, & Education, Inc.
  • Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
  • Educational Records Evaluation Service, Inc.
  • Evaluation Service, Inc.
  • Foreign Credential Services of America
  • The Foreign Educational Document Service
  • Foundation for International Services, Inc.
  • Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
  • Global Education Group, Inc.
  • Global Language Services
  • International Academic Credential Evaluator, Inc.
  • International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
  • Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
  • SDR Educational Consultants
  • Span Tran Evaluation Services
  • World Education Services, Inc.
  • Worldwide Education Consultant Services, Inc.

2. If English is not the primary or official language of the country where you earned your degree, you will need to take and pass a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and meet the following scores:

  • Speaking – 24
  • Listening – 22
  • Reading – 22
  • Writing – 21

TOEFL Test Preparation
TOEFL Test Centers
TOEFL Exempt Countries

Step 2: Work on Your Teaching Certification!

An Efficient Path To Teaching

Teacher Builder’s online alternative teaching certification program offers you a fast, efficient, and flexible way to become a certified teacher in Texas. Work on your certification from your home country through our online curriculum. Once you have completed Step 1, your next step is to work on your actual teaching certification following these simple steps:

  • Apply to TeacherBuilder
  • Submit official transcripts for review
  • Choose a qualifying area and enroll
  • Pass your TExES Content Exam
  • Start applying for teaching positions while completing the state mandated requirements

Step 3: Find a Job

Many districts in Texas are in need of teachers and are sponsors of H1-B Visas.
Teacher Builder will help you find a job and assist you in navigating to your desired location.

Sponsorship & H1-B Visa

It is important to understand and manage your visa situation. We recommend starting this process immediately.

H-1B Visa
H-4 Dependent Spouses

School Districts That Sponsor
H1-Visas (List is Ever-Changing):

  • Dallas ISD
  • Houston ISD
  • Austin ISD
  • Marble Falls ISD
  • Mesquite ISD
  • Dayton ISD
  • Harmony Public Schools
  • Beaumont ISD
  • Bryan ISD
  • Cleveland ISD
  • Liberty ISD
  • Clear Creek ISD
  • Brenham ISD
  • Royal ISD
  • Jacksonville ISD

Get Started On Your U.S. Teaching Career Today!

apply now